Re: Slow-fast singularity

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 19:06:44 MDT

--- Michael Anissimov <michaelanissimov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Krekoski Ross <rosskrekoski@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, true.
> >
> > But we can still throttle input to reduce the speed of a takeoff
>

> ????
>
> There's no way we can estimate which input rates correspond to which
> cognitive enrichment rates.

Yes you can, if you measure intelligence by how much you know (in bits).
The intelligence of a child AI cannot exceed the intelligence of the
parent plus accumulated input.

I realize there are other definitions of intelligence. You could upload
to a computer, then raise the clock speed, add memory, coprocessors,
faster I/O, and a faster network connection. You could then think and
learn faster, but initially you would not know any more than you do now.

Question: how big (in bits) could AI grow in an environment where agents
compete for resources? In other words, how much *useful* information is
there to accumulate? By useful, I mean information that gives an agent a
competitive advantage.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com