Re: AI Boxing: http://www.sl4.org/archive/0207/4977.html

From: justin corwin (outlawpoet@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 17:42:32 MDT

Hiya,

I must ask, how did you find the thread?

I have now received a few inquiries on this subject in the last few
days, which hasn't been discussed on sl4 or related communities in
some time.

I do, in the spirit of inquiry, perform what actual experiments and
math I can when faced with complex topics, the like of which are
discussed on SL4, but I don't delude myself that they are too
meaningful. In the case of AI Boxing, I was just interested in a
survey of basic reactions and the issues involved in convincing people
to do things that may not be in their interest.

As I mentioned in the referenced thread, I found that it was not as
hard as I expected to get out of the box, and that the objections
didn't really break down along rational lines. Besides being some fun
roleplaying weird psychologies, I found that people tended to invest
AIs with many anthropomorphic features, even when I went out of my way
to make them jarring and alien in their communications.

I don't think it was that meaningful of an experiment, although it was
interesting. I'm not currently planning on doing another set of
trials, but I thank you for your interest.

(I've crossposted this reply to sl4, in case more people have similar
questions.)

--
Justin Corwin
outlawpoet@hell.com