[sl4] Re: Paper: Artificial Intelligence will Kill our Grandchildren.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 11:17:05 MDT

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 "Anthony Berglas"
<anthony@berglas.org> said:

> Trying to prevent people from building intelligent
> computers is like trying to stop the spread of knowledge.

Yes, they are both equally imposable and equally immoral.

> Just make it illegal to build the chips

And when drugs became a problem we just made certain drugs illegal and
then presto-changeo no more drug problem.

> One major problem is that we may already have sufficient
> power in general purpose computers to support intelligence.
> […] So ideally we would try to reduce the power of new
> processors and destroy existing ones. […] A 10 mega hertz
> processor running with 1 megabyte of memory is a thousand
> times weaker than current computers.

We both know that barring a full scale thermonuclear war, and probably
not even then, there is not a snowball’s chance in hell of everybody go
back to 10 megahertz processors and one megabyte of memory. I don’t know
why you would even make such a silly suggestion. And I’m glad it will
never happen, all species go extinct eventually but we will go out in
style and leave decedents even if they’re not biological.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm