Re: [sl4] Re: Paper: Artificial Intelligence will Kill our Grandchildren

From: Anthony Berglas (anthony@berglas.org)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 19:20:24 MDT

Thanks for these, I'll add them.

Although without a sharp understanding of Evolution I think there is
little justification for statements like
   "Self-improvement causes systems to allocate their physical and
    computational resources according to a universal principle. It also causes
    systems to exhibit four natural drives: 1) efficiency, 2)
self-preservation, 3)
    resource acquisition, and 4) creativity."

He talks about deliberation vs Evolution (eg. when choosing a mate),
without realizing that deliberation comes from Evolution.

The paper is also a bit rambly and not sharp, IMHO.

I like the idea of split personalities. A possible source of goals.

"Self-improving systems do not yet exist". Of course they do -- from
the beginning. It is all a matter of extent. Even dumb chess
programs try to improve the "book" of openings etc. in their spare
time, thus improving themselves. Neural nets in Conway's life.

Anthony