Re: [sl4] Is there a model for RSI?

From: William Pearson (wil.pearson@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 12:42:39 MDT

2008/6/16 Mark Nuzzolilo <nuzz604@gmail.com>:
> I'll take a swing at this.
>
> Let's start with the assumption that a machine cannot output a machine of
> greater algorithmic complexity.
> Now for a thought experiment put humans in that same category. A single
> human would not be able to produce something "greater" than itself. The
> details of this are unimportant. The point is that when you take a larger
> group of humans, the complexity increases and you can now produce a machine
> potentially greater than a single human.

We tend to need lots of experimentation (read as getting information
from the environment on how to improve themselves), to create things a
lot simpler than ourselves. Lock a group of scientist in a room with
no test data or robot body and no way to generate any and you will
find it hard for that team to create anything more intelligent than
itself.

You have to formalise the constraint on getting information from the
environment to get anywhere with this type of discussion.

  Will Pearson