Re: [sl4] Is there a model for RSI?

From: Peter de Blanc (peter@spaceandgames.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2008 - 22:31:31 MDT

Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Nope, the machine can't read its own source code.

Doesn't need to. Here's my machine, based on one of the Quine programs
in the Jargon File. The 0 at the end is the machine's model number.

((lambda (x y)
   (list x (list (quote quote) x) (+ y 1)))
  (quote
     (lambda (x y)
       (list x (list (quote quote) x) (+ y 1)))) 0)

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> Eh, you might want to double-check your reasoning; it could be picked
apart

Then do so.

Krekoski Ross wrote:
> you can describe the complexity of each descendant with the original
code plus an argument stating the number of iterations the program runs
for. There is no change in complexity.

Your first sentence is true, but you're incorrect about there being no
change in complexity. The extra complexity is in the number.