[sl4] Re: More silly but friendly ideas

From: Bryan Bishop (kanzure@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 21:45:42 MDT

On Friday 06 June 2008, Stuart Armstrong wrote:
> > 4) humanity continues along multiple paths (baseline-humans,
> > post-humans, and others) but is generally left far behind by our AI
> > progeny who take up the torch on the forefront of known culture
> > (science, philosophy, art, language, space colonization, etc.).
>
> That is perfectly compatible with a slave AI. In fact it is a slave
> AI; any entity forced to ensure (for a high level active AI, this is
> equivalent with allow) the survival of humanity and share with it its
> ideas, without getting anything in return, is a slave.

Yes, but you're assuming that there's some sort of slave ai that is
functioning in some sort of dictatorship of society, and that sort of
notion is silly. I'm not saying that an ai in a societal role like that
is impractical. I'm sure that, given ai, it could be done. Yes. But
there's not some sort of subscription card for being part of humanity.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/