Re: [sl4] Re: Signaling after a singularity

From: Thomas McCabe (pphysics141@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 21:46:12 MDT

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2008, Stuart Armstrong wrote:
>> Competition would become stunted, because it would be obvious who
>> would "win". People might still create (for themselves), but
>> conversations might go along the lines of:
>
> I'm noticing an unstated assumption in your message and those of the
> rest of this thread. For some reason there's this assumption of some
> mega-ultra-awesome-overlord ai that rules over everything with an iron
> fist. What's up with this and where the hell does this unfounded
> assumption come from?
>
> - Bryan
> http://heybryan.org/

That particular argument has already come around many times before,
and we've already established, quite thoroughly, that a hard takeoff
is the most likely scenario. See
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2327578/Worlds-Most-Important-Math-Problem-Eliezer-Yudkowsky-Future-Salon,
http://www.intelligence.org/blog/2007/07/10/the-power-of-intelligence/,
and thousands of list archive messages.