[sl4] Re: Property rights

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 07:26:31 MDT

Stathis writes

>> To continue this off-topic thread we must see how it applies to
>> the situations regarding distributed intelligences in at least the
>> entire solar system, perhaps 500 or 1000 years from now.
>>
>> So first we need an analog of what government would be needed
>> for in possible far-future scenarios, as I asked for in a previous post.

           Beings who think millions of times faster than we do might want
           a Solar System government, but for very, very few things that I
           can think of.

            I suppose that some solar systems will eventually attack others
            and just like the Soviets and the NKVD---which made their
            soldiers more afraid of who was behind them than who they
            were fighting---a ruling Solar Government may have to organize
            Solar Defense, commandeer resources, and so on.

            Maybe something else corresponding to infrastructure or communications?
            Anything else whatsoever?

> What need would there be for government or economics when
> everything is free and happiness knows no bounds?

Sounds ironic or sarcastic, though, knowing you, that is probably
not the case. E.g., what if a cave man (short for hunter-gatherer
circa 7000 B.C.) said the same about our lives? We'd have to
explain that as soon as basic wants (being warm, well fed, and
physically secure) are met, people adapt to that and want more.

Believe me, entities from the future will want more, and more
that we cannot quite conceive of. Even someone from 1750,
given a tedious job at McDonald's today would want to ask,
"what need is there of anything else---life would be perfect
in such a society with such an easy job".

We or our replacements may still have the human urge to never
be satisfied.

Lee