Re: [sl4] Bayesian rationality vs. voluntary mergers

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 08:35:46 MDT

--- On Mon, 9/15/08, Wei Dai <weidai@weidai.com> wrote:

> I wonder where the assumption came from, that groups as
> well as individuals
> should be guided strictly by expected utility maximization?
> Is it just that
> no one has proposed a viable and mathematically worked out
> alternative?

For example, a group of miners are trapped underground in an accident. It will take 48 hours to dig them out, but unfortunately there is only enough air for the group to survive for 24 hours. The individual preferences are that everyone lives, which results in everyone dying. However, the social preference is that half of the miners kill themselves immediately so that the other half will have enough air until they can be rescued.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com