Re: [sl4] A model of RSI

From: Denis (dnsflex@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 14:09:46 MDT

I think if "RSI" mean a program searching to improve its behaviour without using others data can be a good idea but it is very different to a "rewriting itself" program.
The "rewriting itsef" is a ill-definition and the only thing is possible to achieve in this way is a reduction on a costant C.
For example given an universal Turing machine accepting in input a program ( program without parameters) this turing machine executing the program can use new empty cells or rewrite a part or all the cells of the starting program.
If this program rewrite itself partially or totally by C cells the only advantage you can have is to use also this C cells in the elaboration.
There is not substantially difference from program and data.
The trick is that you can move the program in the costant C and this disappear asymptotically.
"Rewiting itself" is only an illusion.
A nice example is the Hanoy tower . In the recursive program solving this problem you can watch at the stack and you can think to it as a program with the istructions to move the stones and this programs change! The trick is that you are watching the wrong program!

Denis.