Re: [sl4] A model of RSI

From: Bryan Bishop (kanzure@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2008 - 14:58:13 MDT

On Wednesday 24 September 2008, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> We assume (but don't know) that adding more neurons to our brains
> would make us more intelligent and therefore better.

Whales have larger brains.

> But why do we want to be more intelligent?

We want to be more extropic and effective, if that means intelligent
then so be it.

> Because our brains are programmed that way.

What?

> Intelligence requires both the ability to learn and the desire
> to learn.

Hardly. I know many people who are very unmotivated to do much of
anything, yet are 'intelligent' as you would call it.

> Suppose that we engineer our children for bigger brains,
> but in doing so we accidentally remove the desire to be intelligent.
> Then our children will engineer our grandchildren according to their
> interpretation of what it means to improve, not our interpretation.

Fine, then set up your body or lab on an automated cyclic reproduction
regiment so that you spit out your 1st-generation children, keep them
from modifying the source code. Then it's self-contained within that
system.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html