Re: [sl4] Victims of SL4

From: Robin Lee Powell (
Date: Wed Oct 08 2008 - 10:16:09 MDT

For the record: cute idea, well executed. Good job. :)

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 11:16:21AM +0100, Stuart Armstrong wrote:
> "You know what's funny, though?" asked the torturer with a wide
> grin. Receiving no answer, he continued: "The example is flawed!
> You getting tortured does not actually make the point the author
> is trying to make! It's completely useless. Within a few hours,
> fifty people will point out the flaw, and the author will retract
> his example, or more likely, just forget about it. Your pain is
> worthless."

I am not aware of this having happened, and it's been *quite* some
time since the first OvercomingBias post on this topic.

> "I'm afraid that, as a literary figure, you can get fifty years of
> torture within a single sentence. And the torture will be
> duplicated exactly every time someone new reads the sentence - a
> few hundred times, at least. Though one of the SL4 debates is
> whether that counts as you being tortured a hundred times or only
> once; we'll just have to see, won't we. It'll be fun!"

We debated as to whether reading the sentence counted as a
qualia-bearing sentient being tortured? Ummmmmm.....

Lojban Reason #17:
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - ***