Re: [sl4] A model of RSI

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 21:57:49 MDT

Denis,
If I understand your proposal, an example of a partial definition of a program might be a finite prefix of an infinite string output by an unknown program. The problem is to guess the rest of the string. A solution would be to guess the shortest program that could have output the given string, and then run the program to predict the rest of the string.

An example of self improvement would be if the program could rewrite itself so that the new version could solve the same problem faster, or find a better solution that made fewer prediction errors.

The problem is I want to distinguish between self improvement and learning. Suppose the program rewrote itself to include the solution it already found. I consider that learning, not self improvement.

That is why I defined self improvement for a closed system with no input. One can have a parent program create copies of itself with random variations and then give its children a fitness test based on some problem that is hard to solve but easy to check. The test could involve guessing the output of unknown programs under time constraints. But I argue that nontrivial unbounded RSI is not possible, regardless of the test, because algorithmic complexity cannot increase in a closed system faster than O(log n) after n generations.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com