Re: [sl4] Transhumanism in Flux, a new high profile science magazine

From: Petter Wingren-Rasmussen (petterwr@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2008 - 04:13:33 MST

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Eschatoon Magic <eschatoon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Links in:
>
> http://transumanar.com/index.php/site/transhumanism_in_flux_a_new_high_profile_science_magazine/
> (...)
> Fragments from the book 'Reshaping the Human
> Condition'—Exploring Human Enhancement' show that some scientists are
> of the opinion that our current medical thinking model—based on
> illness—is no longer adequate.

It has been outdated for years.
Two examples: Hypertonia and Hyperlipidemia, both have been classified
as diseases, but strictly speaking they are not. They are riskfactors
for cardiovascular disease. With the current development of
DNA-analysis and DNA-screening methods more such riskfactors will be
detected and treatments for risk-factors will eventually develop, be
it risk for cancer, dementia, early aging or anything else.

Thanks for the link!