Re: [sl4] giant planets ignation - one more existential risk

From: Petter Wingren-Rasmussen (petterwr@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 07:25:05 MST

As far as I understand the question the risk is definitely questionable, and
OT too for this mailinglist.

However, lets assume its a real risk - wouldnt it be (relatively) easy to
solve by detonating Jupiter while its on on the opposite side of the sun
from earth? The first blastwave would hit the sun and after that it would
just be a second sun for some period of time.

This is wild speculations on my part - my astronomical knowledge is pretty
much based on popular science books.