Re: [sl4] giant planets ignition - one more existential risk

From: GS (radiosity@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 05:25:19 MST

Okay, to put it right, all the time you say one can't compare
a "slow burning" in stars with a "detonation". A star detonates all the time
if you want to look at it like that, it just can't explode to _somewhere_, because
the gravity holds it all together. That is the principle of hydrostatic equilibrium.

What you are comparing is the detonation of explosives, a chemical reaction which
happens namely in the valence shell of the molecules with the detonation of
a nucleus reaction which happens on the inside of atom nuclei.
They aren't comparable, it's not even the same force (electromagnetic vs. strong force)

And a supernova explosion is even a far more absurd analogy. The supernova explosion
is drive by the gravitational force. When the star has burnt all of its fuel, which
means that the main part of the matter is now iron then the fusion reaction would consume
more energy than it would generate. Therefore the fusion reaction stops and because
there is no more hydrostatic equilibrium the gravity pulls all the mass together
compressing the whole star to the point where the atoms "touch each other". That only
can happen when there is an enormous amount of mass, more than our sun has.
At this point, when no more contraction is possible, all the kinetic energy the atoms
gained while falling into the center of the star, produce a huge shock wave.
Therefore the kinetic energy is reversed (elastic collision) and besides of forming
atoms heavier than iron this energy is used to drive the matter in a huge explosion
outward into the space, what we see as a supernova explosion.

Besides of all the lacking evidence for your thesis, I think we should concentrate our
discussion here to the Singularity and AGI. That's the purpose of this list, and we
can't discuss all risky stuff that we can think of. (wildly mutation of lethal virus,
creating black hole inside earth, the US president spontaneously decides to ignite
all atomic weapons at once, and so on...)

I always enjoyed reading good discussions here and wouldn't want to miss that for a
theory which in my eyes has no scientific foundation.

Sincerely, GS