Re: [sl4] giant planets ignation - one more existential risk

From: Alexei Turchin (alexeiturchin@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 16:13:46 MST

And remeber that Jupter is not empty. If we speak about detonation of
diterium it could happned under zero pressure, as 1979 article said.

But pressure is important for detonation of He4 in reaction 3 He4 =
C12. It is another possibility of explosion of giant planet.

The fact is that the reaction 3 He4 = C12 is decribed by equation

E = p**2 X***3 T**30

So, it depends of 30 power of temperature and only 2 power of
pressure. It means that only temperature is important for this
reaction, and not pressure, because if you increse temperature 4 times
it would cover differense in density of 1 billion times.

And of course it is not intial temperature of helium which is
important - but temperature of the fuse.

So, initial temperature and density is not so important for the fact
if helium detonation is possible or not.

But I am not sure that helium detonation is possible at all, just want
to tell, that it is not so simple quastion, and you should not use
words like "bullshit".