Re: [sl4] giant planets ignation - one more existential risk

From: Alexei Turchin (alexeiturchin@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 14:33:23 MST

John,

1. The question of critical mass for Pu-238 is not principle to the
main question, because it was discussed only with connection if
Cassini could igmnate Saturn which is very unprobable. The main
question: is the detonation of the planet is possible at all; (But
fast neutrons doesn''t mean fusion neutron. for exmple, we have fast
neutron reactors, and they are not fusion reactors, but fission.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_reactor)

2. You mistakenly think that:
a) formula "E = p**2 X**3 T**30" cames from the article of
""Necessary conditions for the initiation and propagation of nuclear
detonation waves in plane atmospheres". Tomas Weaver and A. Wood,

and you don''t want even to look on that article because you don''t
like power of 30. (X is concentration, *** must be ** - power.)

b) that this formula is false.

In fact this formula cames from the book
Shklovsky: Stars: Their Birth, Life, Death,San Francisco, 1978
This book is also old, but even wikipedia agrees that:

"The triple-alpha process is strongly dependent on the temperature and
density of the stellar material. The energy released by the reaction
is approximately proportional to the temperature to the 30th power,
and the density squared. Contrast this to the PP chain which produces
energy at a rate proportional to the fourth power of temperature and
directly with density. This strong temperature dependence has
consequences for the late stage of stellar evolution, the red giant
stage."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-alpha_process

Don''t belive in your knowleges! Use wikipedia! :)

But the question of possibility of thiple-alpha detonation of Jupiter
is also not main.

The main quetion is that observed level of diterium in the Jupiter is
only 5 times below minimal level which is needed for detonation

which is stated in the article which you don''t want to read beacuse
you don''t like power of 30 - and there power of 30 is not even
mentioned.

3. I had source there it was said that teller desigh would work if it
would be sufficiently large but I lost link. This is real bullshit.