Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 03:21:15 MST

To get back to the original question...

> The question is this: assuming you continue with rolf's gambit, do you
> include the tuba in your subsimulations? Why or why not?

Rolf's gamebit rests on the fact that when making the promise you are
increasing the probability that RAI is in a simulation AND that the
simulation controller will disapprove of its actions of wipping out
humanity and will interveen to stop it.

For us, finding the tuba increases the probability that we are in a
simulation, tell us quite a bit about the simulation controller, but
tells us little about whether and how the simulation controller will
interveen.

So include the tuba in subsimulations, for two reasons: 1) the more
accurate the simulation, the better the gamebit, and 2) this will
increase the RAI's belief that it is in a simulation.

In fact, this is a better situation than the original gamebit, because
now we only need to boost the RAI's belief about the simulation
controller's actions, not about its existence.

Stuart