Re: [sl4] Uploads, slavery, concerts and fair trade.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 14:22:49 MST

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 "Stuart Armstrong"
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> said:

> I fully intend to upload, if possible, but
> I don't think others should be compelled to do so.

It doesn’t matter one bit what your or my opinion is on this matter, and
that is one reason why the singularity will not be a cozy time. If we
are very very lucky we will be given a choice, upload or die. If we’re
unlucky we will simply die.

> You seem rather confident on what a Jupiter
> brain will or won't want to do.

Yes, I am rather confident that a Jupiter brain won’t be stupid and that
we won’t be able to outsmart something smarter than we are.

> Jupiter brains dedicated singlemindedly to
> the production of paper-clips are concievable;

But interestingly such a thought would not be conceivable to your
Jupiter paper clip making machine, in fact such a specialized piece of
equipment would be incapable of conceiving of anything. Hard to see why
you’d want to want to call it a brain actually.

> why not then Jupiter brains single mindeldly dedicated
> to the protection of standard humans?

Probably for the same reason we don’t find human beings taking orders
from sea slugs. Sea slugs are dumb.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark