Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 11:43:39 MST

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 "Filipe Sobreira"
<warlordbcm1@yahoo.com.br> said:

> you just poke your would-be exact copy. Thats it.

As both of you are identical you both decide to poke each other and both
receive a poke in the ribs.

> all observers in the world may share the same belief that
> they are indeed the same person, based on their own
> perceptions and on the fact that they share the same
> characteristics. But this ignore the simple fact that
> the person in question is an observer also, and they
> DO NOT agree on the fact that they are the same person.

But they don’t disagree. You are the copy and are standing an equal
distance from the center of a cylindrically symmetrical room with the
original. I now use a Star Trek brand transporter to instantly exchange
your position with the original, or if you prefer I leave your bodies
alone and just exchange the two brains. There is no way subjectively you
or the original would notice that anything had happened,
and objective outside observers would not notice anything had happened
either. There would not even be a way to tell if the machine was
actually working, I could be lying about having a transporter. Who
cares?

If objectively it makes no difference and subjectively if makes no
difference then I can only conclude it makes no difference. There are 2
bodies in that room but only one you.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark