Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: Krekoski Ross (rosskrekoski@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2009 - 19:16:24 MST

Yes, but its not an equivalent problem.

two one bits are not two hydrogen atoms.

Two one bits can be thought of as equivalent because they're simply
abstractions. (unless we want to try to say that the 1 bits that I just read
in your string of binary digits are both represented by a specific physical
configuration in my brain somehow-- in which case no, the two one bits are
not the same). If we want to say that the two hydrogen atoms are also
abstractions, that would be true, but then we run into circularity problems
when we say that they're all the same.

Two hydrogen atoms are similar but not the same at a quantum level.

I might even take it further and say that its not altogether clear if a
hydrogen atom exists as a singular discrete entity independently, or if we
just clasiffy it as a discrete entity due to the way we conceptualize the
universe. Case in point, I drank a cup of coffee yesterday morning. I also
drank a cup of coffee the morning before. I dont think however that both
mornings are equivalent-- one was a friday and I was at work, one was a
saturday and I wasn't. They are of course both technically mornings I
suppose. The point is though that someone who speaks a language other than
english and lives in a culture that conceptualizes days differently may not
separate days into mornings, afternoons, and evenings. --- It may make
sense to treat all hydrogen atoms as roughly analogous-- but we only do so
because we care about things like chemistry (though there are isotopes...).
If we cared more about quantum states for example, lumping all hydrogen
atoms into a single category may not be the maximally descriptive.

If we are saying a hydrogen atoms is a hydrogen atom therefore they're the
same-- it is a valid but circular argument. I'm just pointing out that this
is never the case in the actual universe. If we are talking about a
simulated symmetrical room, then yes, its possible that two entities are
qualitatively identical in the physics of the simulation itself (but their
representation in the simulating material will NOT be identical for the same
reason that the two 1 bits I mentioned above are not the same in my brain).