[sl4] Personal identity (was Re: A teleporter)

From: Filipe Sobreira (warlordbcm1@yahoo.com.br)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 16:13:07 MST

This whole topic is very interesting, but I find it hard to discuss without knowing what the others believe in some of the basic principles, so this is a question to the group as a whole: In what consists your theory of personal identity? What something needs to have to be called 'you'? Best wishes, Filipe "Adtollite portas principes vestras Et elevamini portae aeternali Et introibit rex gloriae. Quis est iste rex gloriae?" (Psalm 23(24):7–8a) ________________________________ De: John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> Para: sl4 sl4 <sl4@sl4.org> Enviadas: Domingo, 8 de Fevereiro de 2009 15:36:04 Assunto: [sl4] A teleporter The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a teleporter as described in the January 23 2009 issue of Science. You walk into the chamber and your body disintegrates into generic atoms of hydrogen oxygen carbon nitrogen and a few trace elements that could be collected in tanks for later use by other commuters. Such a closed cycle would be very ecological. Meanwhile the quantum state of every atom in your body is communicated over fiber optic lines to generic atoms in the holding tanks at your destination; and then wham bam thank you mam you walk out of the public teleporting chamber at your destination feeling fine without a hair out of place. John K Clark -- John K Clark johnkclark@fastmail.fm -- http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! +Buscados http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com