Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: Krekoski Ross (rosskrekoski@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 19:53:22 MST

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM, John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm>wrote:

> And here we have it, "only their [quantum] states" moved not "The atoms
> themselves". That last is a revealing phrase, even in the absence
> quantum states you think all atoms have a unique property that no other
> atom has, even though the scientific method can not detect it. There is
> a word for that mysterious property but I can't seem to remember it
> right now.

I suppose I should have clarified-- I made the assumption in the experiment
itself, that it only referred to non-baryonic teleportation. Though I
suppose that this is orthogonal to the central issue, which, as I take it,
 is I think the contention that no two real-universe systems are isomorphic
down to an arbitrary level of specificity, with the caveat that two given
abstractions can be isomorphic, but their real-universe representations in
an underlying substrate will not be. I think you're claiming that such
isomorphism is possible in the real universe, I am claiming that it isn't.
I think we both operate under a realist framework here, so lets discuss this
specifically. Discussion about souls and what not is quite
adjunct/peripheral!