Re: [sl4] simplistic models of capability growth

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 02:31:41 MST

> However, I'm not convinced that _any_ of these models model the
> reality of AI well at all. My limited real-world experience with
> general learning machines (e.g. genetic algorithms, neural nets,
> theorem provers) is that they tend to gain interesting capabilities
> rapidly (well inside 24 hours of a single desktop machine), and then
> experience a "loss of steam". I'm not sure how best to model that
> pattern using differential equations.

Rather easily - take the differential equations of a body falling
through the atmosphere, and take "speed" as "intelligence" (ie there
is a friction factor growing with your level of intelligence).

There's even a phase space argument for this - the more intelligent
you get, the more likely it is that any random change will be
detrimental rather than improving.

Stuart