Re: [sl4] Please upload some molecular reintegration

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 13:49:41 MST

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 "Brad Johnson"
<shadow_slysar@yahoo.com> said:

> Nature can copy DNA fairly easily.

Fairly easily? Nature has been making copies of DNA for about 3 billion
yeas and been doing so with an amazingly low error rate.

> there is a big difference between celular mitosis and
> the exact and deliberate duplication of an entire organism.

This issue came up because somebody said you’d need to go to absolute
zero to build things with atomic precision, and clearly that is
balderdash. As I said I expect Nanotechnology to do better but life is
no slouch at building things to atomic precision. Take hemoglobin for
example, it contains about 8000 atoms including 4 iron atoms and they
all must be in just the right spot or it won’t be able to carry oxygen
in your blood properly. Every second you body makes trillions of these
things all of them identical and all of them in good operational order.

And if that’s not good enough for you consider Titin, the third most
common protein in muscles; it has about 500,000 atoms, and like
hemoglobin all of them arranged just so.

And we can do better.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark