Re: [sl4] Weakening morality

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 03:58:31 MST

And yet the more cohesive societies in the world are (in general) the
less productive, weakest and poorest. You can nit-pick - Norway versus
Somalia - but cohesion, or societies acting as one, does not seem to
be much of an advantage at all, outside of certain narrow
circumstances.

The reasons for this are long and complicated (the easiest aspect is
to look at classical economics), but the fundamental point is that
acting as one is only a useful thing to do if the action to take is
clear, and if a centralised decision process can implement it
efficiently. That's why vacination is centralised, but computer chip
design isn't.