Re: [sl4] normative language is rational

From: Petter Wingren-Rasmussen (petterwr@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 01:28:14 MST

I had to look up deontic logic to even know what it is.
Iīve studied linguistics for about a year though and the definitions of
"normative" varies from discipline to discipline which might cause some
confusion.

Here is my take according to the linguistic definitions Iīve learned:

1. (The kind you describe) is what plans would make the best possible
outcome in the future, which I find constructive. I wouldīt like to call
this normative language. The actual discussion you describe (which is the
important point) _describes_ probable outcomes for the future. Shouldnt it
be called descriptive then? In linguistics the opposing terms are normative
and descriptive..

2. Describe how things _ought_ to be _right now_ and decide that one way is
right while all others are wrong.
 (ie Itīs vulgar to spell behaviour or armour without a u.
Christians/Moslems are good, moslems/christians/all others are evil.)
Imho normative language(according to my defintion) doesnt have much use
outside of oppression and wartime propaganda.
You might say that the following sentence is normative: "You should use
punctuation, avoid long sentences and start each new sentence with a capital
letter."
Writing it in a descriptive way where you show both action and consequence
will be somewhat longer, but less provocative and have a higher chance of
invoking change in the one you're talking to, for example:
"If you dont use punctuation and avoid long sentences, your text will
be more difficult to understand and less people will bother to read it."