Re: [sl4] foundationalism

From: B Ziomek (bziomek@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 08:24:08 MST

It really depends on what you mean by an axiom. For simplicity's sake, let's
take Euclid's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements#First_principles

The postulates really are definitions rather than ideas that someone dreamed
up. A line is a line because it fulfills such criteria. If other axioms
could be made that described other phenomena treatable as basic, there is no
reason that modern maths and sciences (or at least something roughtly
equivalent) could not have been derived from them as well, although thinking
of such alternative phenomena is a difficult task.

--
-Bziomek-