Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: Lucas Sheehan (lucassheehan@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2009 - 13:25:03 MST

Actually I do believe that I am conscious (because I am programmed that way) and I also believe that I am not conscious (because there would be absolutely no change in my behavior if I was). I realize that these two positions are inconsistent, and just leave it at that.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com

Well that's no fun. Why not try to understand this further and apply your findings to your life approach. Being one who believes I am conscious (because I was programmed that way) and believes I am conscious (because I do think there would be a difference if I wasn't) I am curious why you avoid this problem. It seems a man of logic and rigorous pursuit of "truth" or at least "high probability" would not feel comfortable with this internal state. Just curious.

Cheers,
Lucas.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile