Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 08:35:03 MST

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 "Matt Mahoney"
<matmahoney@yahoo.com> said:

> Actually I do believe that I am conscious

I am very glad to hear that.

>because I am programmed that way

Yes exactly, and a damn fine bit of programming too because if you think
you’re conscious then you are; after all that’s what the word means,
thinking about yourself. Once we understand the details of that
programming we can make a computer that is conscious and much more
important intelligent.

> I also believe that I am not conscious
> (because there would be absolutely no change in
> my behavior if I was)

So if Evolution is right then consciousness MUST be an inevitable
byproduct of intelligence, there is simply no other explanation of how
the universe managed to produce at least one consciousness being,
probably more.

> I realize that these two positions are inconsistent

Indeed.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark