Re: [sl4] foundationalism

From: Eschatoon Magic (eschatoon@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 00:18:29 MST

Godel demonstrated that there must be arithmetic statements which
cannot be proven algorithmically, but just "happen to be" true for all
natural numbers. I have used the Goldbach conjecture (which may be
unprovable in the Godel sense) as an example.

If something is true but cannot be proven true, the only thing we can
say is that it is "experimentally true".

I am very intrigued by he suggestion that maths is really the physics
of bottlecaps, which seems to me a very pragmatic and sane way to look
at it.

--
Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon