Re: [sl4] FAI development within academia.

From: Roko Mijic (rmijic@googlemail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 18:49:32 MST

Since this thread seems to have been somewhat distracted, I might just
bring us back to the original more immediately salient question.
Perhaps we could Matt's quantitative theory to another thread?

"I want to help out with FAI research, what do I do?"

[implicit: I am university-level educated in a mathematical science
and I know about cognitive biases, and I want to work in academia with
clever people]

Since I've had someone else ask me what the answer to this question
is, I think it might be good to discuss it here.

I'll throw in what I've learned: there seems to be a global lack of
communication, co-ordination and consensus amongst those of us
interested in working in FAI and AGI. Some researchers basically
neglect friendliness(!). Some consider human friendly AGI to be
impossible, and conclude that we're all screwed. Singinst and
associates seem to appreciate that these are mistakes.

But you can't get a PhD at SIAI... (correct me if I'm wrong here,
guys? possible collaboration with Singularity University?)

Talking to mainstream AI guys about this subject ... is usually a
painful demonstration of human irrationality and cognitive bias as
they execute a search for plausible arguments concluding that only
narrow AI research is worth doing.

Roko

--
Roko Mijic