[sl4] Factors of intelligence

From: Petter Wingren-Rasmussen (petterwr@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 05:40:31 MST

February 25th 2009 Matt Mahoney wrote:

> Second, you need to define "smart". What does it mean to be twice as smart
> as the average human? It is not so obvious as you think. Humans are
> notoriously bad at recognizing genius, as demonstrated by the persecution of
> Socrates, Galileo, and Turing. Today we still award Nobel prizes for work
> done decades earlier, after the rest of the world has caught up.

After skimming through wikipedia on
intelligence<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence>,
I found that the most inspiring text I´ve read on it so far wasnt there.
This is freely from the foreword of the swedish translation of "Check your
own I.Q." by H.J.Eysenck.

He claims that intelligence is dependent on three different factors:
1. Mental quickness.
2. Carefulness (ie lack of mistakes made).
3. Endurance.

When thinking about AGI most of us think about something with significantly
higher mental quickness than any human being and that makes few mistakes.

Other options are available though, given enough time.