Re: [sl4] foundationalism

From: Eschatoon Magic (eschatoon@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 06:54:30 MST

Tough question Stuart.

While I am unable to offer any deeper or more precise formulation,
perhaps I would reword your definition as "maths is the task of
axiomatising basic intuitve concepts (counting bottle-caps, drawing
figures on the sand, watching the planets move) and then pushing the
axioms out as far as they can go, EVEN well beyond the DOMAIN OF
VALIDITY OF THE original intuitve concepts".

The evident explanation of why evolution has shaped our mental
architecture in such a way as to optimize our ability to count
bottlecaps (predators, friends, foes...) do not necessarily explain
why our mental architecture should also be optimized for deeper
mathematical reasoning. So, perhaps, it is not.

G.

--
Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon