Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 21:30:38 MST

--- On Sat, 2/28/09, Charles Hixson <charleshixsn@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >> So the question becomes "How great a deviation is allowable
> >> without considering the entity to be a new person?"
> >>

> > That is a question about your belief in consciousness.
> The important consideration is to kill the original so there
> can be no debate about which copy is you.
> >
> > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com
> >
> ???
> I don't see how that follows. Why couldn't they both be me? I, in the
> past, would certainly consider that they, in the future, were both me.
> And I would strenuously object to any procedure that would kill either
> of them.

How is making a copy of yourself and killing one of the copies any different than not making a copy in the first place?

Yeah I know it seems different. You think you wouldn't step into a teleporter that you know will slowly crush you to death, but after you have done it hundreds of times you will overcome your fear and conclude there is no difference.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com