Re: [sl4] FAI development within academia.

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 06:55:48 MST

> For comparison, in my day job CS research, there are about 50 implemented
> ontology mapping systems...

I worked on that at Unicorn Solutions -- pretty much the closest I have come
to AI!

Today there are about 100 people in the world working on AGI in a vaguely
> serious way,

Yes, and most focus on the narrow CS of building a system.
Few have asked philosophical/theoretical questions about minds-in-general:
- The full range of possible variety in minds-in-general, including
generally intelligent but strongly non-anthropomorphic minds.
- Convergent sub-goals like self-improvement or resource capture
- Goal retention under self-improvement
- The general theory of the optimization of inductive bias under resource
constraints
- etc.

By the way, it's good to see this conference: http://ia-cap.org/e-cap09/ which
is taking a step towards these questions outside of the narrow AGI/futurist
community.

Joshua