Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 10:50:30 MST

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 "Matt Mahoney"
<matmahoney@yahoo.com> said:

> The teleportation industry might go to great lengths
> to soundproof the booths so nobody would hear the
> tormented screams of their customers.

Iíve heard debates on this subject for a long time and the evolution of
my opponentís argument is always the same. First he proposes a though
experiment with you and a exact copy of you (for some reason that I
donít understand in their examples you are always the original, never
the copy). After assuring us over and over that they are exact in every
particular he then proceeds to slowly tortures to death one of them but
NOT the other, he then turns to me with a glint of triumph in his eye
and says ďsee, you wouldnít like that very much if this was real Iíll
betĒ.

They seem to think itís obvious that they have just proven something
profound; but Iíll be damned if I can figure out what it is. Yes it is
true that being tortured will change you, but thatís not very profound,
I already knew that. No, their big point must be something else, but I
donít have a clue of what it could be.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark