Re: [sl4] FAI development within academia.

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 13:58:05 MST

> > Google can answer natural language questions up to about 8 words long.

I think that it can't answer most questions of 8 words. Here is one that
could be done with narrow AI which Google doesn't try to answer directly: "Is
Waunakee north or south of Madison, Wisconsin?" Even reading the pages at
the first four results does not give the answer.

>Maybe that's true for the 100 or so people worldwide who are making a
serious effort to build an artificial human brain, what we call AGI.

I'd guess that most AGI researchers do not say that AGI is an
artificial _human_ brain, just a (potentially quite inhuman) artificial
_intelligence_,: Something which optimizes towards achieving goals in
complex environments with limited resources.

> "Smarter" can either mean doing more of what humans can do (the Turing
test)
Likewise, I think that most researchers in AGI, including Turing in his
time, don't see the Turing test as the true measure of intelligence, just a
useful fall-back when no other good definition exists.

Joshua