Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 10:05:19 MST

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 "Stathis Papaioannou"
<stathisp@gmail.com> said:

> Subjectively you have a 1/2 chance of suffering
> when faced non-destructive teleportation with
> painful killing of the original. Of course you
> will have no memory of it if you are the survivor

And you will have even less memory of it if you are not the survivor.
Forget teleportation, if you walk into a torture chamber you will
remember none of the subsequent events after they’ve finished
disemboweling you. Nevertheless I’d prefer not to walk into that
chamber; but that’s just me,
there’s no arguing over matters of taste.

A good thought experiment should examine an idea of illustrate a point;
I can’t see how this torture the original and pamper the copy business
(or the other way around) can do either.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm