Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 10:25:38 MST

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 "Matt Mahoney"
<matmahoney@yahoo.com> said:

> My point is that ethical beliefs are not the same thing as the truth.

Right, so with a huge pile of irrational beliefs that every one of us
has why does your thought experiment hinge on whether a person would or
would not feel comfortable walking into a duplicating chamber? That will
tell us nothing about the truth. If you’re interested in the truth and
not in some superstitious belief an individual may have then your
thought experiments should be geared to determine if that individual
could even tell if he was a copy or The High Holy Original. He won’t be
uncomfortable if he can’t tell that anything happened.

> as if our minds had free will as opposed to being programs.

In other words, as if our minds acted at random as opposed to being
programs.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark