Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 08:07:02 MST

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the point of teleportation you have a 1/2 chance of experiencing,
> say, either 5 minutes of torture and then dying or life carrying on as
> usual at your desired destination.

No. I will say it again. Probability is a mathematical model of belief, not reality. In reality there will be 2 copies of you and one will be tortured to death. That is all you can say about what will happen. The probability (your belief) of being tortured will be much less than 1/2 after you have teleported hundreds of times. It doesn't matter if death is instant or prolonged over 24 hours (as in my original description where the teleportation industry uses a small motor with a very low gear ratio to save money). If you don't believe me, simulate both scenarios and tell me what numbers your simulated brain computes.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com