Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Johnicholas Hines (johnicholas.hines@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 09:01:29 MST

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The question "how should we compute the probability of being tortured?" is philosophical and irrelevant.

You dismiss the relevance of debating about values. Surely a group of
naked apes can discuss how the group will fit novel situations into
its existing utility function? We are such a group, discussing novel
situations and whether they are good or bad.

Note that I use singular "utility function" rather than "utility
functions" because we're talking about the group deciding, and the
utility function of the group will be some approximation/mishmash of
the individuals' utility functions. In any case, naked apes' utility
functions are all pretty similar, anyway.

I don't see how this question is irrelevant.

> The question "how will we compute the probability of being tortured?" does have an experimentally testable answer.

I agree entirely! In fact, one of the ways that the naked apes will
likely use is philosophical discussion about values.

Johnicholas