Re: [sl4] In praise of the sacrosante Original(TM)

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 09:50:33 MST

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 "Stuart Armstrong"
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> said:

> if perfect copying or uploading was around, this is correct.
> But until that happens, we must obsses about the original!

So you obsess over perfection, fine, but do you obsess over The High
Holy Original as He is now or after He has had a sip of coffee? Do you
obsess about how The Holy One is now or how He was a tenth of a
femtosecond ago, or how He will be a tenth of a femtosecond from now? If
you won’t or can’t answer the above questions then at least answer this
one: The original what?

There can only be one answer, atoms. So you must also obsess about all
those sacrosanct little atoms you pissed down the toilet over the years
since you were born.

> we know the original is human/ourselves/a moral agent

We know the same thing about the copy. As a matter of fact you are a
copy, you’re not even “the” copy. I replaced you last night while you
were sleeping; I knew you wouldn’t mind.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm