Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 09:54:19 MST

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Johnicholas Hines <johnicholas.hines@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Matt Mahoney
> <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The question "how should we compute the
> probability of being tortured?" is philosophical and
> irrelevant.
>
> You dismiss the relevance of debating about values. Surely a group of
> naked apes can discuss how the group will fit novel situations into
> its existing utility function? We are such a group, discussing novel
> situations and whether they are good or bad.

Some people will be willing to step into the teleporter booth. Some won't. The first question is irrelevant because neither side is likely to convince the other that their views are correct without appealing to emotion and lies. The second question (should vs. will) tells us that eventually everyone will step into the booth.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com