Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Johnicholas Hines (johnicholas.hines@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 12:27:02 MST

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/3/09, Johnicholas Hines <johnicholas.hines@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Matt Mahoney
>> <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > What you should feel has nothing to do with what you
>> actually will feel.
>>
>> Consider these scenario:
>> 1. After careful discussion, some naked apes decide that specific
>> other naked apes should not be considered as ethical equals. Slavery
>> insues, and most of the oppressors feel comfortable about it.
>> 2. After careful discussion, some naked apes decide that specific
>> other naked apes, currently enslaved, should be considered as ethical
>> equals. They join the fight against slavery, and experience repugnance
>> and disgust when confronted with slavers.
>>
>> Is this a counterexample to your claim?
>
> For example, feeling that slavery is wrong in a culture where slavery is accepted, or vice versa.

Yes, that is my example exactly! Abstract philosophical discussions,
such as the one that we are having right now, can change culture (the
group's utility function), and via culture, emotions (the individual's
utility function).

What kind of world do you want to live in? We have the opportunity to
make waves, right now, which will influence the future.

Johnicholas