RE: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 16:05:18 MST

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, ' ' <justin_benedict@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am programmed to say this argument is going no-where and
> is quite ridiculous and a waste of time.
>
> Seriously though, who cares?
>
> Do we really have any idea how such a teleportation device
> would work?
>
> Is it possible at all?
>
> Is all of this purely theoretical with no end in sight?
>
> Shouldn't we just talk about the identity issue
> instead, since that will ultimately effect ALL future
> endeavors AFTER the singularity?
>
> Hasn't the identity issue been resolved on numerous
> occasions or are there wholes in what people have said
> already?

No, because uploading is the same issue with the extra complication that the copy is not exactly like the original. (Its brain is in silicon. It has a robotic body, or no body, etc). I could phrase the same question in this context. If there is a program running that imitates you so well that nobody can distinguish it from you, then are you willing to die and give control of your estate to this program?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com