[sl4] Offtopic about the singularity.

From: ' ' (justin_benedict@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 21:11:03 MST

One other thing, I mean, humans aren't designed to be cognizant systems, it just sort of happened by accident... RNA interactions in the primordial soup and you know the rest.

Nature got a lot right with us (emotions, desires, goals, needs, intelligence and understanding, etc.) but it also did a really damn poor job of doing it though... I mean look at how screwed up society is and the world is in general and look at how intellectually, emotionally, socially, perceptually, mentally, etc. stunted we are... we do really stupid things because of emotions and bad emotions tend really fuck things up (anxiety, depression, anger, boredom, frustration, paranoia, jealously, etc.) and can lead to extremely bad situations (suicide, murder, lack of production, lack of enjoyment, lack of engagement). Our awareness of our surroundings is INSANELY stunted, I mean what... we take in one bit of information per second or whatever and we are only aware of one thing at a time with our attentional systems... our working memory systems are very limited and obtuse. Socially, we just get by with the least possible effort on most people's parts and most people don't give a shit. Like I said earlier, our ability to fully engage with what is going on, enjoy every nuance of what is directly happening to us and orient ourselves suck... we are basically just poorly designed meat sacks that are used to our mental and emotional starvation. I mean how many people walking around are *truly* excited to be alive, truly happy in what they are doing and every moment is a miracle and how it could never get any better? How every experience is an unending plethora of sensory, emotional and mental activity and engrossment... At least 1/10,000 if not more like 1/1,000,000 I should be everyone times 10.

Sorry, but I am profoundly discontent with the current state of affairs and I think the singularity needs to happen relatively soon (like within the next 20 to 30 years MAX). Transhumanists only talk, it seems like singularitarians are the only ones that at least try to do, but they are so few of us and so little funding, organization, etc. that we are like trying to move a mountain with a Pez dispenser and we are not getting any younger or smarter.

Justin Benedict, justin_benedict@hotmail.com

P.S. Sorry if this seems as complaining, but its not... All I want to basically say is that we have bigger fish to fry than uploading, teleporting, TV shows that don't give a shit about us and never will, etc. when 150,000 people are dying a day when there is no reason in hell that they should and billions of people are constantly either suffering or discontent with their lives.

But you guys already know all of this. Maybe we can talk about more constructive things, like actually building an AGI (all of the research and theory needed and organization and collaboration, etc.) or getting funding.... those two topics are obviously the most important to discuss right now and for the foreseeable futre (i.e. 10 to 20 years).

Feel free to flame on.