Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 23:01:29 MST

2009/3/4 John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm>:

> I think the reason people are getting so confused over this is not that
> they come up with the wrong answer, the problem is that they come up
> with the wrong question. The correct question is “What is the
> probability that after I step into that teleportation booth I will
> conclude that I am being tortured?” The answer of course is 100%. If the
> question was “What is the probability that I will NOT be tortured the
> answer would also be 100%.

You do have a point in that you are describing the objective truth,
but the objective truth is still compatible with a probabilistic
subjective interpretation. A quantum coin toss under the many worlds
interpretation of quantum mechanics still results in a 1/2 chance of
the observer seeing heads or tails, and you have assumed this your
whole life whether you believe in MWI or CI.

--
Stathis Papaioannou